Check our latest eblast for current and planned Youth Group events.
Canterbury Youth Group
CYG is open to youth who are currently in 6th - 12th grades. Our goal is to provide the youth of St Thomas the opportunity to interact with their peers and support the church and community. We provide opportunities to have fun while fellowshipping with one another and participate in service projects within our community. We also support Community Services hours for those in high school. The annual CYG sponsored Italian Nights Dinner is our major fundraiser. The money raised supports both our local and diocesan activities. This includes a night at the movies, bowling parties, Mission trips, Night Watch and several other activists throughout the year.
In addition to the activities at St Thomas, CYG is supported by Episcopal Diocese of San Diego (EDSD) Collaborative!! This is a diocesan wide youth group. The youth that participate have been recognized throughout the diocese for participating in major events such as diocesan conventions and the Bishop Consecration. They also participate in many other activities.
Choose Joy - Diocesan Convention • Reality Check - Epiphany Retreat • Fearless Love - Bishops Consecration
Where have some CYG members gone?
- Epiphany Retreat at Camp Stevens in the beautiful surroundings of Julian, CA.
High School Mission Trips
- 2019 Mexico: San Luis Potosí: This cultural experience allowed the youth to interact with local youth and exchange cultural experiences. They also worked on the constructing of a church and a Temazcal, a traditional Mexican steam bath.
- 2018 Guatemala: Partner’s in Development in the community of Ixtacapa: The youth completed the construction of one home and began the construction of a second home for families within the village. They also raise money to start a computer lab at the Community center for the kids to use.
Middle School Mission Trips
- 2019 SSP (Sierra Service Project) Imperial Beach: completing small home projects, cleaning park areas, learning about the community
- 2018 Walking with Angels: The youth spent time in LA working amongst the homeless at Union Rescue Mission and My Friend’s Place, a drop in center for homeless teenagers and the Los Angeles Food Bank.
You can find more information about this year’s activities at our table in the Narthex.
Please contact Monica Walton if you would like to join Canterbury Youth Group firstname.lastname@example.org